Delaplane Cellars Blog
Here is where you will find all the latest happenings and information about what is going on at Delaplane Cellars.
Wine is made in the vineyard
A vineyard is just another name for a farm. That’s what we are: farmers.
Planting a vineyard is a time and labor-intensive job. It takes three growing seasons, for a young grape vine to mature and bear viable fruit. Older vines are highly prized because they yield more concentrated fruit, resulting in richer wines with more sumptuous balance.
Delaplane Cellars was founded in 2007. With the help of a professional viticulturalist, planting began in 2008.
The 32-acre property features 10 acres of Bordeaux red varietals Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot, and French whites Sauvignon Blanc and Petit Manseng .
Delaplane Cellars largest single planting by variety is Cabernet Sauvignon with approximately 2.5 acres. It was planted in 2008 and 2009 with 2017 replacements. There are about 2 acres, each, of Cabernet Franc (planted in 2008, 2009 with 2017 replacements) and Merlot (planted in 2008 with 2017 replacements). There is 1 acre of Petit Verdot (planted in 2008 with 2018 replacements and 2019 expansion) and 1.5 acres, each, of Sauvignon Blanc (planted in 2013) and Petit Manseng (planted in 2008).
(Delaplane Cellars also sources other Virginia-grown grapes from our vineyard partners.)
Growing grapes that produce abundant harvests is easier if they are planted in the right spot and properly tended. Our vines are planted on a north-south access, with a south-facing aspect, so the vines get an equal distribution of light and warmth as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west every day. Our elevation is about 800-900 feet above sea level.
We also employ Vertical Shoot Positioning, or VSP. It is a widely used trellis system in which the vine shoots are trained to grow upward in a vertical, narrow curtain with the fruiting zone below it. We hand-prune and pick our vines.
These factors, and many more, play a key role in the grapes that we grow. It is a labor and time intensive effort that yields the best fruit because that is what makes a great wine.
Discover why The Reserve is our standard for the best wine experiences
When you see “Reserve” written on a wine label, you can be assured of one thing - that it is a wine of exceptional quality.
Whether it is made with grapes grown on older vines, or the wine has been aged longer, traditionally, the term defines the best of the best.
The Reserve at Delaplane Cellars is the best of event venues for your wine experiences.
Formerly the manor house of the estate, The Reserve is available to tailor-make guest experiences that are as unique as you. The Reserve, which sits amidst several vineyard blocks and has an unobstructed view of the bucolic Crooked Run Valley, lets you explore wine on an uncommon level.
Decorated in muted and deep grey hues, it has a clean, sleek look that is appointed in furniture with soft-washed colors and natural materials that create a cozy and relaxing atmosphere.
The Reserve’s comfortable interior design makes the perfect environment for a host of different tasting opportunities and gatherings, such as:
- special elevated tastings
- intimate, informative wine dinners
- higher-end, signature blends of Delaplane Cellars library wines
- themed, wine-specific food pairings.
- social gatherings for special occasions (birthdays, engagement parties, etc…)
- corporate meetings and team-building experiences
But you also can create an exclusive gathering of your friends, family or business acquaintances by customizing the rooms, or combine the settings and have free reign of The Reserve’s first floor for your large party, Choose from:
- The Piedmont Room, which seats up to eight at a round high-top table. It’s perfect for a warm, intimate gathering of friends enjoying wine, or a business meeting with access to a large-screen television for your PowerPoint presentations.
- Our Dining Room seats up to 10 people for intimate wine and food pairings, a private wine dinner and Edutastings, fun and informative tastings themed to help you enjoy and learn more about the art of wine.
- The Lost Mountain Room is a sprawling space with a vaulted ceiling, a rugged fieldstone fireplace and cozy leather couches and informal bar seating. The fireplace is flanked by French doors that lead onto a 270-degree-view deck rising above the southern block of Sauvignon Blanc vines, the estate swimming pool and topiary hedges.
Reach out to us and we will recommend the perfect wine experience that is customized to your wants and needs.